Business Valuation & Intangible Asset Appraisal Services
Advent’s valuation services identify, enhance, and protect business value. Our opinions are supported, as appropriate, by comprehensive analyses of the enterprise, its industry and geographic region, and the impact of economic, legal, tax and regulatory factors. Valuation methodologies suitable for your specific purpose are utilized to arrive at a sound, supportable, objective, and independent valuation. Because your requirements are unique, Advent can provide the valuation scope appropriate to your circumstances.
Our valuation services include: equity interests in closely-held companies, professional practices, partnerships, limited liability companies, and large regional and national companies; and tangible and intangible asset appraisals.
Advent Valuation Advisors prepares valuations for a variety of purposes, including:
In addition to providing valuation services, Advent provides opinions on, and in-depth analyses and rebuttals of business valuation reports.
Estate & Gift Taxes
Advent Valuation Advisors provides detailed and fully supportable valuations for estate and gift tax purposes. Our valuations have been successfully defended before the IRS and accurately apply the appropriate discounts that optimize your valuation as a financial and estate planning tool. Our valuations have been utilized for the following purposes:
- Estate tax calculations
- Gifting of closely-held stock and partnership interests
- Creation of non-voting stock in S-corporations for gifting purposes
- Court-appointed valuations in disputes
- Shareholder disputes
- Matrimonial matters
Whether for succession planning, conversion to a different business form, consideration of expansion or discontinuation of a division, or for other purposes, Advent can provide the valuation you need to make informed decisions. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Bank financing
- Establishing goodwill value for basis prior to S-Corp conversion
- Financial restructuring and recapitalization
- Employee stock ownership plans (ESOP’s)
Advent has the expertise needed to provide a supportable valuation in even the most difficult and complex circumstances, matrimonial matters. Unreported income, the identification of perquisites (personal expenses deducted as business expenses) and non-market compensation and rent payments are some of the challenges present in matrimonial-related closely-held business valuations. Advent can properly address these challenges to provide the valuation you need for equitable distribution purposes.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Whether you are considering purchasing or merging with a business, or you are an acquisition target, Advent can provide the valuation you need. Related transaction examples include:
- Analysis and advice relating to purchase offers
- Leveraged buyout transactions
- Management buyouts
Purchase Price Allocations
Purchase Price Allocation is the process of assigning fair values to all major assets and liabilities of an enterprise, either following a merger or acquisition (for the restated or opening balance sheet) or in testing for goodwill impairment. All assets are included in the allocation and can be tangible, such as operating machinery and equipment, and real property; and intangible, including intellectual property, customer lists, licensing, goodwill, and other intangibles.
The Financial Accounting Standards Board’s (FASB) has issued statements regarding the accounting for purchased assets in FASB ASC 805/Business Combinations, and FASB ASC 820/Fair Value Measurements & Disclosures (formerly SFAS 141R and SFAS 157), which requires the valuation of all tangible and intangible assets in order to establish goodwill value; as well as FASB ASC 350/Goodwill and Other Intangible Assets (formerly FAS142) which requires the subsequent testing for goodwill impairment.
Advent has teamed with experienced partners in the machinery & equipment and real estate appraisal professions for purchase price allocation engagements, to provide our clients with a single, coordinated, affordable source for asset allocation and goodwill impairment testing services. Advent, in conjunction with its partners, can provide regional, national and international asset allocation services, when an independent opinion of value is needed.
Advent Valuation Advisors provides the due diligence, research, and analysis to support transaction valuations for the following purposes:
- Purchase or sale of closely-held businesses or interests in same
- Pending or contemplated board transactions
- Valuation of subsidiaries, divisions, and joint ventures for spin-offs
- Valuation of intangible assets for corporate transfer
Hard Asset Valuations
Our “hard asset” valuations are prepared with the precision required for making informed decisions; whether for loan underwriting, insurance purposes, cost segregation, financial reporting, estate planning, or for litigation support. Our services include:
- Field Inspection – Our inspections are supported by years of field experience. We go beyond harvesting nameplate data by specifically observing asset conditions and gathering important information specific to the asset or group of assets.
- Asset Listing – Assets listed in combined documentation from different departments are reconciled to the actual observed assets in the field. Structures, “ghost” assets, leased equipment, jigs, fixtures, tooling, new parts inventory, raw materials inventory, and work in process items are identified and classified.
- Secondary Market Research
Assets we have valued include:
- Construction Equipment and Vehicles
- Distillery Equipment
- Manufacturing Equipment
- Restaurant Fixtures and Kitchen Equipment
- Farm Equipment and Vehicles
Intangible Asset Appraisals
Whether for obtaining financing or attracting equity capital, for gift and estate tax or financial reporting, transfer pricing, transaction advisory or other purposes, Advent can provide the intangible asset valuation you require. Intangible assets we have valued include, but are not limited to:
- Advertiser Lists
- Artist Music Catalogs
- Business Goodwill
- Business Process Patents
- Cell Tower Leases
- Commercial Artwork Copyrights
- Customer Lists
- Distribution & Franchise Agreements
- In Process Research & Development
- Internet Domain Names (URLs)
- Leasehold Interests
- Licensing Agreements
- Mast Heads
- Micro-chip Patents
- Mining and Mineral Reserves
- Movie Royalties
- Music Licensing & Distribution Agreements
- Music Recording Masters
- Music Royalty Contracts
- Newspaper Mastheads
- Non-Compete & Employment Agreements
- Patent and Other Licensing Agreements
- Patient Medical Records
- Publishing Royalty Contracts
- Record Labels
- Royalty Agreements
Analysis and Rebuttal of an Opposing Expert’s Report
Advent can ascertain whether the opposition’s valuation or forensic report is accurate and supportable. It only takes a few errors, omissions or intentional bias to derive a materially erroneous conclusion of value. Consequently, our reviews are often an essential aspect of our litigation support, often framing the key value issues missed, or identifying a weak and/or misleading analysis.
For more information on how Advent’s services can benefit you, please contact us to schedule a consultation.
If you are interested in how our Services can benefit you, please call us at 845.567.0900 or fill out the form below.